Friday, 17 February 2017

Extinction by Thomas Bernhard

Extinction freed up something inside me. For my whole life, I’ve failed at connecting my writing with my deepest feelings. Reading work from the previous day or a week or month later inevitably depresses me; as though it comes from my throat rather than deep in my belly. My pages were flat; I’m never anywhere to be found. You always read about how the greats open a vein and bleed out, but I’ve never understood that; not at an emotional level where I could see without fail what it meant for an author to pour everything into their work. In this book, not only did I see the emotional aspect, but I saw the mechanics of it as well.

It’s late in the day, but I’m grateful Thomas Bernhard appeared in my life. Perhaps it’s a sign that I’m finally ready to learn. We shall see.  

No comments:

Post a Comment